Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Olifant School

We've had a hard time trying to find a school that is right for our kids.  There are lots of playgroups in this country, but I wanted a little more than that.  We found a montessori school that we thought would be a great fit, but there was no more room in the classes there.  So, we kept looking.  We found just the right place, I think.  It's The Olifant School, or Elephant School as my kids like to call it.  One of the directors of the school is from Texas!  The classrooms are well equipped and the teachers seem great.  They go three days a week for two hours each day.  Unfortunately the only classes available to them are on Tuesday, Thursday, and SATURDAY from 8:00-10:00.  That's a bit early in the morning, but since my kids get up around 6:00, it's not such a big deal.  It is unfortunate, though, that no stores open until 10:00.  So, I won't be getting the shopping done during that time like I had planned.  There is a language school nearby, so Michael and I will be able to start going to classes to learn more language skills.  This is something we are both looking forward to. 
Paisley has done wonderfully at the school, but Truett had a difficult first couple of days.  However, on the third day of class there were no tears!  He may have even found a friend in there.  I'm so excited for him.  They are both a bit shy when they are in new situations.  Paisley's teacher told me that they had dancing and singing time and Paisley just sat and watched.  Wow!  That girl LOVES to sing and dance.  It'll take time, but they'll warm up!
The school has actually asked me to step in and teach some International English classes in the elementary school.  Apparently the one teacher got sick and had to return to Australia and the other teacher needs to go home to help with ailing family members.  I'm not sure how to teach International English, but I at least know how to speak English (which is apparently more than the applicants for the job were able to do!).  So, if it works with the kids' schedule and Michael's schedule, I'll be stepping back into the classroom teaching in the 4th and 5th grades.  I *think* I'm excited about this, but a little nervous.  We'll see how it goes.  And it's only for a few months.  However, they are starting a new junior high in a few years and have asked me to be a part of that with the math curriculum.  That might be biting off more than I care to chew!
Here are some pictures of their first few days of class.
They are all pretty similar, but show some different uniforms.

This is the day that we went to visit the school.  Of course, Paisley had to get a picture with the elephant!


This is the first day the kids went to school.  We hadn't gotten their uniforms, yet.  Truett did not want his picture taken, and Paisley wants to make sure everyone sees her new sparkly shoes (thanks, Grams!)


 They are all smiles as the walk in the first day.

 These are their uniforms.  They have a choice of a red, blue, or yellow shirt.  Truett has grey shorts, and Paisley has a skirt and a jumper.  They also got new backpacks.  Truett's is Captain America and Paisley's is Frozen.  They had a great time picking these out.

 Wow, they look so grown up!

This is their PE uniform.  I haven't really figured out when they're supposed to wear it, though.  

Paisley wanted another picture with the elephant, but neither would cooperate and smile at the same time.  But, at least they were nicely sharing their water!





No comments:

Post a Comment