Friday, September 25, 2015

Eid Al Adha

Just a quick post today because I haven't been feeling well the past couple of days.  It's just a cold or something and I think I'm getting over it.  Hopefully I'll be up and running soon!
In last week's post I told you about the holiday this week that people couldn't agree about the correct date for it.  Kinda funny, if you ask me.  It all has to do with the moon or something like that.  Anyway, this is what it looked like for an outsider's perspective and then I'll give you a link that gives you a short insider's perspective.  
Eid Al Adha celebrates the time with Abraham took Ishmael (not Isaac) up the mountain to be sacrificed.  An angel provided a lamb/goat to be sacrificed instead.  So, that's part of what is done on this holiday, sacrifices of goats and other animals.  There have been goat pens popping up on the sides of the road in recent days so people can buy their goats to sacrifice!  If we had felt like it, we could have walked down the street to watch some sacrifices.  I don't think that would have made me feel any better, though!!  We regularly hear the Call to Prayer here five times per day coming from a loud speaker nearby.  On this day, however, the loud speaker went off continually almost all night.  I do know it stopped, at least for a bit, around 10:45 because that's when I finally got to sleep.  I was up around 4:00 the next morning and heard it going off again.  I'm pretty sure it went off intermittently all night long.  The next day, after the sacrifices, we had a neighbor stop by and give us some goat meat.  That's what is done.  One third of the meat is kept for family celebrations, one third is given to other family and friends, and one third is given to the poor.  So, now we have goat meat in the freezer.  Anyone have any good goat recipes?

Okay, here's a little more info, if you're interested:
http://islam.about.com/od/hajj/a/adha.htm
http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/holidays/eidaladha.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment